Having shortness of breath and sweating in hand and feet. Took ativan and feeling nervous. Is it a side effect?

Jan 2013

Ive been having shortness of breath and breaking out in sweat in my hands in feet my dr told me to try ativan so I took it and it has me feeling like I cant breathe and real nervous please help Im 25 yrs old and all this is overwhelming to me....
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi XXXX, Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Do you have fever/ cough with sputum/ chest pain?
Do you have some sort of stress?

Although with the available described details, there appears to be high possibility of Generalized anxiety disorder with slight component of panic attack but you should first consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ chest physician and should go for thorough check up.

Ativan contains Lorazepam and may effect respiratory centre as its side effect.

Clinical examination is mandatory to rule out respiratory ailment.

You should also go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, chest x XXXXXXX and spirometry.

If all relevant investigations are found to be normal, then you should also consult with psychiatrist.

If I am your treating doctor then I would like to advise you to take selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.

Take care,
Let me know your other query.
Wishing a speedy recovery,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava