Having shortness of breath. Getting cramp in chest and coughing jelly substance. What should be done?

Question
For 3 weeks i have been constantly slightly short of breath. I have no fever or blood in my occasional cough, but once I coughed up a jelly like substance. Also occasionally, if I move a certain way, I feel like I get a small cramp in my chest.
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Hi

As you already had history of asthma which is an allergic reaction. The jelly like substance is mucous produced in the lungs in response to allergens. You might be taking certain treatment for your asthma problem so follow that. that might include sulbutamol nebulisation and an inhale containing sulbutamol and steroid. Use it as advised by your doctor.

This was the information i could extract from your query. If you still have some query, feel free to ask, it will be my pleasure to help you.

Thanks

Follow-up: Having shortness of breath. Getting cramp in chest and coughing jelly substance. What should be done? 1 hour later
All of the asthma I have experienced in the past had a the restricted feeling that usually comes with wheezing. What I have now feels different than something that would cause wheezing. Also some of my worst lung allergy/asthma attacks were able to resolve themselves overnight, not over weeks. I am hoping this will be solved by buying medication, but money for that and a checkup is going to be almost nonexistent for the next week or two. I was maybe wondering what potential symptoms to watch out for, for it to be urgent like something infectious or metastatic.

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 10 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the reply

Its not necessary that every time you had wheeze. sometimes wheeze is only audible by stethoscope known as ronchi. chest congestion often when develops remains for weeks even worsens when not treated. your age is not for metastatic lung conditions neither you are having any such problem however infections cant be rule out. if you cant go for medication and check up and only have to observe. then observe for fever and shortness of breath not worsens than the current. if the shortness of breath progress along with development of fever and also if there is appearance of blood in the sputum, in that case get immediate medical assistance. steam inhalation can also help you out with cough.

Thanks

Follow-up: Having shortness of breath. Getting cramp in chest and coughing jelly substance. What should be done? 15 hours later
Thanks for your answer. I can rest a little easier because of it. I have one more thing to ask, though. If this does not resolve itself in a few weeks and I do go and get a checkup, would there be any advantage to going straight to the pulmonologist over the GP

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 32 minutes later
Hi
Thanks for the reply

Yes surely their is a great advantage in getting straight to pulmonologist. Along with cure of current symptoms he will also provide you further management plan for future prevention and treatment as GP is only concerned with the current situation

Thanks