Having shooting pain in testicles and penis. Feeling heavy and pressure. What should I do?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have recently begun to feel mild shooting pains in my left testicle and up through the left side of my penis. The pain started yesterday and has become worse. It feels similar to heaviness and pressure with the shooting pain.

The pain is not serious, as I am still able to do my daily activities and go to sleep, etc. I have attempted to feel around for lumps but am not sure what I am looking for. The left testicle does appear to be lower than the right and feels larger. There does feel to be a bit of a lump behind it that feels like a clump of veins. There is also some slight pressure.
After urinating, the pain seems to have gotten worse and more persistent rather than coming in waves.

The only other symptom that I have noticed along with the pain is that I have been very exhausted over the past week.
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 26 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

there are few possible causes and most are not serious, but you should do some evaluation to rule all this out.
in first case you must verify is there STD, testicular or urinary infection so simple urine analysis would be enough for that.
Secondly, it can be beginning of inguinal hernia or varicocele with refered pain to testicles especially if pain is worse after coughing or there is liquid in scrotum. Such lumps are common and usually sign of epididimal cyst or varicose vein. so if you want to be sure ultrasound would reveal is there hernia, varicocele and what kinÄ› of lump is it.
Wish you good health. Regards