Having shingles with severe neck pain. Took antibiotic for fever. What's wrong?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 35 year old husband (generally very healthy 5'10'' 200lbs (landscaper/high school wrestling coach) has had shingles twice once in 2000 and the other time a couple of months ago) has severe neck pain that is now flowing down his left arm up his head and down his back for the past 3 weeks following a severe cold/flu. He was treated with antibiotics for the fever/flu symptoms and muscle relaxers for his pain (I can't remember what the dr called his pain but he said it has to due with the virus that he had. He is still in severe pain does not have full range of movement in his neck now. Coincidence or not his shingles outbreak was on the back of his neck and it went up the back of his head. Can you tell me what could possibly be wrong with him and possibly what the name of the 'infection' that he was treated for?
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 minutes later
The shingles infection at the back of the neck that your husband had is sometimes associated with severe nerve pain. The infection for which he was treated must be Herpes Zoster infection.
The pain is sometimes persistent even after the rash is gone.
In addition to the anti viral treatment, pain killers, steroids and vitamin B 12 supplements might be needed to control the symptoms according to the severity of the condition. Since there is a restricted movement of the neck, other causes like nerve root compression due to cervical spondylosis also needs to be ruled out with the help of proper investigations.
Consulting a neurologist for proper management will be most helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having shingles with severe neck pain. Took antibiotic for fever. What's wrong? 21 minutes later
Thank you for your response, Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal. I did know that he had Shingles/Herpes Zoster. I was wondering what the name of the infection was that he was diagnosed with a few weeks ago when he went in for his flu like symtoms and severe neck pain. (I want to say it starts with an 'R' (I know you're probably thinking I'm crazy). The doctor told him that going to the chiropractor for this pain was not advised because the pain is from the virus.

Is it highly doubtful that this pain that he is having has anything to do with his shingles out break several months ago?

Thank you for your help!

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You can send me photos of his prescription cards so that i can understand the diagnosis that was made at the time of treatment.
Shingles outbreak can cause these symptoms but in case of persistent symptoms, other possibilities should also be considered.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.