Having sharp pain under knee cap. MRI normal. Refereed physiotherapy. Suggestions?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My daughter is 10 years old, she is a rhythmic gymnastic (a sports mix with Ballet dancing and gymnastic), she trains 3 hours per day, 5 days per week. several months ago, she feel sharp pain under keen cap when she does split and turn around jump. The pain seems very dynamic, it usually goes away after stop jumping or a good rest. The doctor took MRI, found nothing abnormal -no cartilage damage, no tissue damage. So she was refered to do physical therapy. However, after 2 months therapy, the symptom does not change at all. Sometimes, She tries to take rest for a week, and goes back to train, it does not help. Any suggestions how should cope with the situation? Shall I worried?
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Sharp pain under her kneecap seems to be due to muscle strain.
As MRI is normal and there is no damage to XXXXXXX structure, there is no need to worry.
Before going back to her training, she needs muscle strengthening exercises to strengthen the muscle around knee.
I suggest her to always stretch her knee and warm up before going for dancing.
Give her diet XXXXXXX in calcium and vitamin d3.
Doing hot fomentation and applying muscle relaxant gel will be helpful.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.
Please accept my answer if you do not have any further query.

Wishing her speedy recovery.

Warm regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.