Having sharp pain near the groin area and burning sensation. Cannot walk. Having back pain. What to do?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Also that sharp pain near the groin area is also a burning senatation. Along with that I can not walk, not able to put any pressure on my leg. Than if i stand to long I get an awful pain in my lower back and If I do not sit down I will fall down
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs clinical examination & investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on your brief description, I suspect that the problem could be in the Hip joint or in the Lumbar spine or both the ailments may be coexisting that are causing you symptoms.

A detailed clinical examination, Xrays of the Hip joint and MRI scans of the involved Hip joint and Lumbar spine are needed to know the exact pathology.

Generally, sharp pain in the groin area suggests a musculotendinous issue and inability to walk and put pressure on the leg suggests some problem in the Hip joint (arthritic changes).

The general treatment guidelines include -

* REST - It is important to rest to allow the inflamed soft tissues to properly heal and recuperate.
* ICE PACKING - Apply ice to the painful area in the acute phase and then after activities. Apply ice wrapped in a damp towel to the painful area for 15 to 20 minutes every two to three hours during the day. Ice will help calm the inflammatory response and stimulate blood flow to the area.
* MOIST HEAT APPLICATION - Before activities, gentle heating can help loosen the muscle. Apply a heat pack to the groin prior to stretching or exercising. As a general rule of thumb, remember to heat before an activity and ice afterwards.
* ANTI-INFLAMMATORY MEDICATION - Oral anti-inflammatory medications (such as Aleve or Motrin) can help relieve symptoms of pain and also calm the inflammation.
* PHYSICAL THERAPY - may speed up the recovery process. Therapeutic modalities such as Ultrasound, Massaging and specific exercises will be helpful.

If your symptoms are not improving with the above measures, approach an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further