Having sharp pain in the back of head. Severe for some time. Reason?

Nov 2013

Hi. I get a very bad pain the back of my head. Almost where it meets my neck. It is severe for about 20 minutes then goes away Its sharp pain for a few minutes. It is at the bottom of my head
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 20 days later
Brief Answer:
Pain is suggestive of neuralgia

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your symptoms, they are suggestive of occipital neuralgia, a type of episodic headache and cephalgia. Most often the MRI of brain and spine come out as normal in this situation.

Helpful drugs include divalproex, Topiramate, oxcarbazepine, etc. I have topiramate and oxcarbazepine on many of my patients with similar headache with successful results. Your treating doctor will know about these drugs; you would respond well to the treatment.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist