Having sharp pain in lower left side and back hurts. Feeling dizzy. What should I do to get relief?

I have a sharp pain in my lower left side. I feel dizzy and faint. It also feels like some sliced open the middle of my abdomen. My back also hurts.
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question. Thank you for being patient.

In your history, you indicate that you have a history of diverticulosis. One explanation for left lower quadrant or left-sided pain is simply diverticulitis. This would definitely explain your pain and if this was a concern, then you should call your doctor to see if they wish for you to be seen or treated.

Other explanations for left-sided and low back pain include:

1. GYN sources of pain - ovarian cysts, fibroids of the uterus and pregnancy
2. Other GI sources of pain - constipation, viral illness
3. Musculoskeletal sources of pain - this seems like the least likely from what you are describing
4. Urinary sources of pain - bladder infections, kidney stones, kidney infection

Certainly given the likelihood of #1 above, you should contact your doctor. Hopefully this gives you some things to think about!

I hope this answers your question. If you have more questions, please ask. If you are satisfied, please take a moment to leave feedback! Good luck!