Having sharp pain in head. What is causing this and cure?

weird pain along the upper right side of my head. It is slightly sensitive to touch and i randomly feel a sharp pain coming from it. I have had this going on for about a week now.
I would also like to add that before this occurred I had slight pain behind my eyes
Posted Sun, 16 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 7 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Possible causes of headache in your case (in order of preference):
•     Trauma
•     Infection of scalp: usually present with swelling
•     Vitamin deficiency: take healthy diet
•     Stress and anxiety: if present
•     Poor vision: if headache increase while reading
•     Poor sleep
•     Side effect of substance use: hangover, so stop use if present
•     Increase blood pressure: so monitor it
•     Migraine: if pain occur in episode and pulsatile (although it is uncommon in man)
•     Post viral infection headache

So, we can help you better if you mention area of pain in your head, any above associated factor/cause and exacerbating/relieving factors.

To rule out above all possibilities, a general physical examination is necessary. You may need lab test and imaging studies like MRI for final diagnosis.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.
Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal
Follow-up: Having sharp pain in head. What is causing this and cure? 3 hours later
thank you for being informative and thorough. My next step will be to see a doctor seeing as this doesn't seem like something that will go away on its own.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 18 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Yes, the first step of any treatment is diagnosis, for which seeing doctor is best step.

From above causes, some problem resolve its own, but it is better to see doctor, have diagnosis and take symptomatic treatment.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.