Having sharp pain in chest after drinking mountain dew. What might be causing this?

Jul 2012

I think I have a pulled muscle in my back which is causing some chest pain. My problem is when I drink Diet Mtn Dew I get several sharp chest pains on the right side of my chest. The pain is so severy that it causes my to double over? Any idea what might be causing this?
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
Since this is a general query & often has happened to your's truly, opted to comment.
Note you consume a lot of areated drinks. It is very possible you have GERD or esophageal regurgitation & mild heartburn. Possibly you sit/lie down after these fizzy drinks? It is a 'stitch' due to the 'areated drinks'. Relax...
As my son would say, 'why fart & waste when you can burp & taste'? (just not offensive)
On a serious note, please take some 'digene chewable tabs' three times a day & best avoid fizzy drinks for around 2 weeks. If it still persists, then it's time to visit a Gastroenterologist. It may not be any muscule tear unless that is also incidental & any OTC (over the counter) anti-inflammatory preparation may have contributed to the reflux!
Do hope have allayed your fears & all well soon...cheers!
Follow-up: Having sharp pain in chest after drinking mountain dew. What might be causing this? 8 minutes later
I appreciate your getting back to me so quickly. My concern is that this does not feel like reflux but instead it feels like a tightness then several sharp pains in the upper right side of my chest. Started today and I have not sat or lied down after taking a drink. Most of the time this occurs I am standing or I will take a drink get about one or two steps then it hits me.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 10 minutes later
Hi there.
Do understand your symptoms. As i said, possible 'intercostal muscle rupture' . Believe me, this has happened personally to yours truly & ended up being a GERD symptom :)
Having said that, perhaps a visit to your local hospital ER right now would be in order. These things are best not left to chance. 'A stitch in time saves nine!'
So please do go across..perhaps a shot of Rantac & Buscopan (injections both) would be just what the doctor ordered!
Avoid Fizzy drinks 2 weeks either ways!
Go across to the ER; if they concur with my diagnosis, do get back home, close this query & give me a XXXXXXX on the back for my charm & wit if not for the diagnosis!!
Seriously, got back quick as feel your pain..hope its better soon..cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD