Having sharp pain in chest. Strained muscle and got intense like rock pushing out rib cage. Should I be worried?

I am a 30 year old male and this afternoon right as i was leaving work at 4:30PM i had a sudden sharp pain in the right side of my chest. It continued all evening but mostly when i moved or especially when i reached for something. I thought i might have strained a muscle except i haven't been working out much lately. now lying in bed on my back a few minutes ago it got very intense like a rock in my chest pushing out on my upper rib cage. Do i need to go to the hospital?
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I believe you need to...

Detailed Answer:

I am a general physician and have been associated with emergency and causality care for couple of years. At this place, we classify sudden onset chest pain as cardiac origin and non-cardiac origin chest pain. Well, most patients with cardiac origin chest pain present with severe retrosternal (under the breast bone) pain with sweating, palpitation, anxiety and breathing difficulty. A small set described this pain referring to other areas such as the neck, arms and back.

Your description doesn't sound like the regular cardiac origin chest pain. However I would love to see a normal EKG and cardiac enzymes before I label you as non cardiac chest pain.

Therefore I insist you to visit your nearest ER. You need not panic; talk to the doctors at ER and let them record your vitals, order EKG and cardiac enzyme markers. If all the reports are normal, you will be discharged with a prescription for antacid and pain killer.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.