Having sharp pain in belly and flat area of abdomen. Cure?

General Surgeon
When I sit up I have a sharp pain where my belly and flat area of my abdomen XXXXXXX It is located left center.
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Few more information needed to answer your query

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

A few more information will be helpful in answering your query more effectively :
1) Since when you started getting this pain ?
2) Does the pain stay in the area stated by you (left center) or radiates or spreads anywhere else ?
3) How are your dietary habits and bowel habits ? Does the pain occur on intake of any particular type of food ? How is your appetite ? Do you consume any alcoholic beverages, and do you smoke ?
4) Does it occur all the time or is it food related ?
5) Is there history of trauma to the area any time ?
6) Is there any associated fever ?
7) Have you got any investigations done for this problem and if yes, then please attach the reports.

Till you give me the above information, you can go for a proton pump inhibitor, a probiotic and an anti spasmodic drug if the pain is hurting you more.

Thanks for your interest in XXXXXXX for clearing your doubts on your health. Awaiting your reply. Good luck.
Follow-up: Having sharp pain in belly and flat area of abdomen. Cure? 57 minutes later
1. About 36 hours 2. Seems to be staying in the same spot. 3. Dietary habits are as usual, but consists of fast food for most meals. Bowel movements were regular but loose for a little more than a week. Doesnt seem to be triggered by any certain foods. Do not smoke. Rarely drink and when i do its no more than two beers and usually just one. 4. Not food related. 5. No trauma. 6. No fever. 7. No

Additional: it is also sore if i lean back. On Saturday night i was playing around and did about five sit ups. The pain first appeared a few hours later when I laid in bed.

Thank You
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Two possibilities exist - need to be examined and

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX! Nice to get your response so soon.

If I were your treating doctor, from the history you have provided and possibly after my clinical examination, I would have thought of two common conditions which could affect you in such a scenario:
1) Because it started following the sit ups and playing, this could be just a minor muscle fiber tear ( a muscular sprain ) on the left side of your belly, and this could give rise to the present symptom of getting pain on movement. In this condition, I would prescribe you some anti inflammatory drug like ibuprofen or diclofenac for three to four days along with a proton pump inhibitor, which will relieve your problem.
2) The second scenario goes in favour of an intestinal infection with your history of eating out ( fast food) and having had loose stool for more than a week. In that case I would advise you to go for a routine stool test for ova and cyst followed by a culture sensitivity of stool if need be, and based on the report would advise a course of antibiotics which will solve your problem.

It is very much possible that both the above are co existing in your case, which s can be known by a physical examination of your abdomen, and other investigations including an ultrasound abdomen if need be. Therefore, I would advise you to get in touch with your family physician along with the reports of these tests who after a physical examination might prescribe you with some appropriate medications.

I hope these information would help you in deciding on further course of action. Wishing you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.