Having sharp pain above nipple and recurrent pain in arm. How to get relief?

I have sharp pain above my left nipple like knife it's come almost at rest. I am 39 male.
Also I felt recurrent pain in my left arm come and go.
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 41 minutes later

Thanks for posting a query here

The chest pains you have described is going to left arm, so first step would be to rule out it is not cardiac origin by ECG done and see that it is normal, then we can consider other possibilities. Hence visit a doctor or hospital first.
Once your ECG is normal these atypical chest pains may be due to muscular or some kind of ligament or bone pain which can be confirmed by if aggravated by movement and local pressure. This kind of pain may possibly come from reflux of acid in food pipe.
It would be helpful to know do you have family history of heart disease or other risk factors like Hypertension, Smoking, and High Cholesterol problems.
In the mean time you can take rest and take some antacid to see if it gives relief.
Depending on the result of your above said examination future course of action may be decided.
Please inform me about the progress
I hope this will help you, I will be happy to answer your any further query

Follow-up: Having sharp pain above nipple and recurrent pain in arm. How to get relief? 13 hours later
I did an ECG one week before the result was normal as doctor said. How can I send ECG for you
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

I am happy to know that your ECG is normal though the attachment is not properly downloading and nothing is seen. You may resend the scanned copy to my attention by mail to YYYY@YYYY

Presuming ECG was normal, there are few possibilities as I said in my reply - Acid peptic disease, muscular pain and another could be cervical Spondylosis. You should get a x XXXXXX cervical spine and Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy to confirm the root cause of your pain.

In the mean time avoid high pillow and take analgesic like paracetamol and can do some hot fomentation which will relieve pain.

Later on if required you may plan to undertake a stress test (TMT) to be sure nothing significant cardiac is there.

Please update about your progress.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer your queries if any

Follow-up: Having sharp pain above nipple and recurrent pain in arm. How to get relief? 3 hours later
I send my ECG
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 19 minutes later
Thanks for posting your ECG. I was able to view it.

This ECG which was done on 3/09/2012 is essentially within normal limits.

However chest pain should properly investigated as outlined to you. Kindly get all tests done and take the treatment accordingly.

Good Luck to you!!

I hope I have answered all your queries. Please close this discussion if you do not have further queries.