Having sharp abdomen pain and found kidney stone. What should I do?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I had a sharp abdomen pain this morning, and it was found to a kidney stone of 3mm diameter. However, the sonography reports shows that there are two homogeneously echogenic SOLS measuring 21 x 15 mm and 18x15 mm are in superior segment of right lobe of liver.

Plz. guide me, what should I do?
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 57 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
There are 2 sepaerate issues.
1. Renal stone: The diameter of the stone is 3 mm. There is no evidence of back pressure changes as per your USG report description. Then in such cases it has to be treated by conservative methods. This would comprise of antispasmodics and hydrotherapy under medical supervision. Since the stone is less than 7 mm and is not causing obstruction to the flow of urine then there is every likelihood that it will pass of spontaneously. No surgical intervention is required.
2. Liver SOL: For this the best investigation would be a contrast enhanced CT of the abdomen which will reveal the exact echogenecity and vascularity of the lesion and therefore help in discerning the nature of the lesion.
I hope this answers both your doubts. If you still have any querries please write to me.
With Regards