Having severe weight gain. What to do in case of thyroid issues? How to reduce weight by increasing metabolism?

Question
hi, I am 30 years old.I had my fT3,FT4,FTSH tests done.The report results are as per atatched
FT4 = 0.96
TSH = 12.44
I am having severe weight gain and also planning to have a baby.Please suggets me whether i am having thyroid problem if so what should i do now.

Also suggest me how i can reduce my weight by increasing my metobolism

Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 6 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Your thyroid reports are suggestive of hypothyroidism. Although weight gain is not entirely due to hypothyroidism it is a contributory factor. During pregnancy TSH has to be less than 2.5 so you should start thyroxine tablets and plan pregnancy once TSh is close to that.
Regarding your obesity problem - I will give you general overview bcoz without examination and one to one discussion I wont be able to find the exact cause.
1. XXXXXXX a dietician and take a low calorie diet chart like1000 kcal- follow it strictly
2. regular aerobic exercise atleast 30 min every day. treadmill or jogging will do
3. cut down on fried stuff, junk food, bakery items and other high cal foods
4.eat lot of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and fresh fruits. drink XXXXXXX tea twice daily.
try to lose 2-4 kg every month. if you r not able to lose with these measures then i suggest you see me or other endocrine doctor personallly

Follow-up: Having severe weight gain. What to do in case of thyroid issues? How to reduce weight by increasing metabolism? 15 hours later

I met the Gynic and she asked me to visit endocrinic.I am new to Bangalore and atlast posted my question here.

Could you please suggest the disage of thyroxine tablet I should use.please prescribe me what else i can use.
ALso gynic doctor said that my Ft4 is on lower side which should not.
Please let me know do i need to take seperately for this.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 24 hours later
Low Ft4 and high TSh both indicate same thing- that you are having hypothyroidism. Start with 75 microgram of levothyroxine tablets. You can also take calcium in the evening after dinner. Check your thyroid again after 2 months to see whether your thyroid parameters have come to normal. You will have to continue medicines even after that.
Thanks
Shivaprasad