Having severe weakness, headache and irregular periods. Had Lyme Disease. Cure?

Feb 2013

teenage daughter goes through bouts of "illness" - blood tests always come back normal, thyroid function (tsh, t3/t4, etc) normal, complains of severe weakness, headache, "feels like my brain is cotton balls", legs feel very weak but aren't actually physically weak - usually lasts about 3 - 5 days - does not seem to correspond consistently to her monthly cycle, neurologist examined her and found nothing abnormal, - only health history outside of typical kid illnesses was Lyme Disease about 2 years ago - was improperly treated with wrong antibiotics, six months later was properly treated by infectious disease doc who says these current symptoms are not result of Lyme. Current symptoms happen on and off for last 10 - 12 months - when she isn't "ill" she is active and happy, plays competitive soccer, goes to concerts, goes to sleepovers, gets good grades, teachers and administrators seem to think highly of her, - when she isn't "ill", seems to be a normal kid
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 5 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

With your description what I understood is-child is getting bouts of illness like sever weakness, headaches, and leg weakness, and her neurological examination is normal.

These symptoms are looking like nonspecific and may be due to some underlying nutritional or hormonal changes which may occur around the age of puberty.

Headache may be due to tension or stress headache. But some times it may result from migraine if there is a positive family history. Her vision has to be checked.

I advise you to consult pediatrician for physical examination to look for any nutritional deficiencies like anemia and vitamin deficiencies. Basic investigations like CBP, ESR, CUE, Vitamin D levels may be required depending on clinical findings.

Give her balanced, nutritious diet consisting of vegetables, leafy vegetables, and fruits. Adolescence is a period where the nutritional requirement is high.

Multivitamin supplementation may be given for 2 to 4 weeks if it is needed.

Therefore I advise you to consult the pediatrician for physical examination and for basic investigations.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.