Having severe vomiting and loose motions. Could it be GERD?

Question
I HAVE BEEN HAVING EPISODES OF SEVERE VOMITING AND LOOSE STOOLS WITH A PRECURSER OF EGG TASTE IN MY MOUTH. I AM VERY SORE IN THE ABDOMIN FOR A COUPLE DAYS AFTER . I ALSO HAVE SOME REGURGITATION, POST NASAL DRIP AND RECENT EAR PROBLEMS. THESE EPISODES HAPPEN EVERY 5 OR 6 MONTHS. COULD I HAVE GERD?
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. Indeed GERD could be a reasonable explanation for the weird mouth taste and vomiting but would not explain loose stools. one of the main considerations in your case being a diabetic patient is autonomic dysfunction of the gastrointestinal tract, meaning that the diabetes affects the nerves that regulate gastric emptying ( with symptoms of satiety, bloating and vomiting) and the bowels (alternating constipation and diarrhea). You should raise this possibility to your primary care physician.

Hope this is useful wish you the best health blessings.
Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN