Having severe stomach cramps. Feeling bloated. Taking gastro sooth & Mylanta. Not cured. Underlying causes?

General Surgeon
Hi I am Having severe stomach cramps all day, not to gassy but feel bloated, only change in diet is adding phsyllium husk for fibre....gastro sooth & Mylanta does nothing, nothing gives me relief, it will come and go through out the day but finding hard to work through it at work. Was constipated but good now.
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms can be caused by bad diet (low fiber and water intake), chronic intestines infection, hypothyroidism, medicines (Ca-blockers and antidepressants), inflammatory bowels diseases (like Crohns disease or Ulcerative Colitis).
As you can see the reason can be serious or trivial.
And it is very hard to diagnose it from my point.
If your pain is associated with gas and stool obstruction and abdomen is really bloated, you should see a doctor. Other symptoms which should not be ignored are weight loss, blood in stool, weakness, pale skin. In case of this symptoms, doctor visit is necessary.
If you do not have mentioned symptoms, you may try home remedies first. Please increase fiber XXXXXXX products, mineral water intake. Start probiotic supplementation. Increase physical activity (it greatly stimulates intestines to work). Try stool softeners. Hot bath can help with the pain.
If it wont help, doctor should be consulted. You should have blood work, abdominal ultrasound, thyroid tests and stool tests first. Abdominal X-ray should be done as well. Next should be colonoscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.