Having severe shoulder pain. Had surgery. Diagnosed Subacromial Bursitis. Feel vomiting. What can be done?

Hi there. Eight years ago I was hit by a bus while cycling to work. The bus hit me hard in the shoulder which eventually led to surgery on my shoulder a year later, once doctors realised I had a Subacromial Bursitis. It took about 10 weeks to recover from the operation but it was well worth as my quality of life has greatly improved and I am now able to enjoy my job as a Visual Merchandiser. However, today at work I was lifting a mannequin and felt a great pain in my shoulder, the same shoulder. The pain is quite severe that I feel like vomiting. It is in the same area where the operation was also along my collarbone and half way down to my elbow. Is it possible that I have a Subacromial Bursitis again? Thanks very much. I hope you can give me some advice. Kind regards, Chantelle, age 34. New Zealand
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 21 minutes later

Yes, there is possibility of recurrent bursitis. Clinical examination of joint, x-ray of the shoulder joint or ultrasonography of shoulder joint can help you to conclude.

Sometimes strain or sprain of the rotator cough muscle can cause similar pain.

Simple analgesics like aceclofenac and immobilization can help you for relief of pain. If symptoms persist beyond few days then you need to consult with an orthopedician.

Hope this answers your query.
Thank you.