Having severe rib pain. Painful to touch. CT scan normal. Prescribed Meloicam and ativan. Nerve damage? Or costochondritis?

I am having severe rib pain right side. It subsides when I lay down, ribs are painful to touch. I have seen my doctor, had a CAT scan, cannot find anything.I have been given Meloicam, and ativan to relax muscles. I'm wondering if it could be costochondritis, but it starts just under my breast and hurts all the way down and around. The muscle in my right back is extremely tight also. I thought costochondritis started up higher. Could it be from nerve damage? It started after I had an extremely painful mammogram on that side. I have also just finished being treated for Lyme with doxycycline, 3 weeks ago.
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Alekhya 1 hour later
Thank you for the query.
Mammogram is a painful test if it is done with less experienced with wrong technique and it will take some time for you to get rid of that pain.Nerve damage due to mammogram are not much common but there might be a muscle injury.I advice you to take costochondritis also you will get treated with them and it is not a serious condition to worry about.
Hope I have answered your query.If you have any other questions you can ask me again.

Follow-up: Having severe rib pain. Painful to touch. CT scan normal. Prescribed Meloicam and ativan. Nerve damage? Or costochondritis? 1 hour later

Could it be related to the Lyme disease?

Also I forgot to mention that i have breast implants. This time during the mammogram, they used a new technology called tomosynthesis, although they did not tell me ahead of time that they would be using it. They did an extra view on the right breast where she pulled skin up from below my breast. It felt extraordinarily painful. This was done on XXXXXXX 28. The pain has been increasing since then, and seems to be wrapping around to my back.
Answered by Dr. Alekhya 20 minutes later

Thank you for coming up with more details.

Lyme disease cause symptoms like arthralgia and myalgia initially; but the late and chronic stage of lyme disease results in arthritis. I don't think what you have is lyme disease.

As you have breast implants, you have to know that around breast implants a scar tissue develops and it will contracts as the time goes on which cause severe pain and discomfort. That is the common complication and we can't avoid it and even another surgery may be done to remove that scar tissue. Consult your doctor once for more details about it.

About the tomosynthesis, it is better and less painful than normal mammogram if done with experienced technicians.

Hope this answers your query.

Follow-up: Having severe rib pain. Painful to touch. CT scan normal. Prescribed Meloicam and ativan. Nerve damage? Or costochondritis? 49 minutes later
I had absolutely no problem with breast pain before the mammogram. I went to my Plastic Surgeon, to be sure the implant did not rupture. It is fine and I have no capsular contraction. My breast is quite soft.

Could the fact that she pulled up tissue from under my breast have caused some muscle or nerve damage? Where it hurts is underneath my breast, over my rib cage below, not the breast itself. Just to touch my ribs there is painful and wearing a bra that presses on my ribs is horrible.

I still think it may be costochondritis, but it is my lower ribs that hurt, not the upper ones. Is that possible?

Answered by Dr. Alekhya 17 minutes later
As I have answered for your query there is chance of muscl damage which will be gradually resolved after some time and treatmnt includes only antiinflammatory drugs and painkillers.
Chances of costochondritis are also there in your cas and yes ofcourse they may involve your lower rib too.There is no special treatment for costochondritis too but the sm as antiinflammatory and painkillers are used.
As you have mentioned about the breast implant I gave you the common complication but as it is fine then it i fine an ruled out.
Hope this answers your query.