Having severe pain in upper calf and near knee, noticed swelling. What should I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
No Allergies No Bad Medical History I am unable to bend my left leg completely. I am able to bend it about 90% then I get a strong pain in my upper calf. It feels almost like there is no more room to bend but there is. Feels like a lot of pressure when I try to bend or kneel on my knee sharp strong pain upper calf and front of knee. it doesn't appear to be swollen and I have no issue riding a bike and walking everyday
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You may need MRI knee. Detailed Answer: Hello, As per your history I consider there was no injury to your knee. Possibility of knee pain on bending completely can be due to meniscus injury, which can be confirmed by clinical examination and MRI knee. Till time take analgesic and apply knee support. In old age most common cause of knee pain on terminal flexion is osteoarthritis. You can send details about your age and gender so that I can help you better. I will advise you if possible do X ray of knee and you can consult me with reports or with your doctor. After finding the reason physiotherapy like USG and continuous passive motion may help. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care

Follow-up: Having severe pain in upper calf and near knee, noticed swelling. What should I do? 4 hours later
the paid came out of no where. no injury occurred. is there anything besides MRI and X Ray that I can do?

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You can do colour doppler lower limb. Detailed Answer: Hello again, You can consult physiotherapist to improve leg range of motion. You can do colour doppler lower limb. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care