Having severe pain in upper back below shoulder blade. Having stabbing pain when lift something. Taken Aleve. Suggest

Yesterday, While golfing I hit a drive and felt a hot searing pain in my upper back right below my shoulder blade. I played through the pain however, today I have terrible pain when I move a certain way, It is a sharp hot pain that almost takes my breath away. It also hurts when I stand and breathe deeply. If I sit still or lay down the pain is not there, however if I bend to the right or try to pick anything up I have that stabbing pain. I have iced every 20 minutes and have taken ALEVE and Ibruprofen.
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

From what you have described in the actual motion that precipitated your injury it sounds like you have a significant strain or possibly a slight tear Involving one of the muscles of your mid or upper back. The twisting motion which precipitated your injury might also contribute to muscle spasm. The fact that you are having pain when you move indicates that when the muscle fibers are stretched this is contributing to pain. This more supports the idea that you are dealing with a strained muscle.

Ice is absolutely necessary for the first 24 to 36 hours. After that I would recommend you consider transitioning to heat therapy with warm compresses, a heating pad or sitting in a warm bath or hot tub.

Slow and steady stretching exercises are also potentially beneficial to help continue to maintain mobility. You might also consider ibuprofen to help alleviate some of the information which is undoubtedly contributing to some of your discomfort.

I would also limit any strenuous movement or lifting for at least several days until your body starts and continues the healing process. Of course golfing would be something you want to avoid for a little while as well until your body heals.

I would continue to watch the symptoms. If for some reason you notice a gradual or significant worsening of your symptoms then I think it would be something you want to bring to the attention of your primary care provider who can then see you and perform a focused consultation and physical examination for additional recommendations.

Thanks again for your question. Please let me know if I can help you with any additional concerns.

Dr. Galamaga