Having severe pain in upper abdomen. Started vomiting and diarrhoea. Feeling nauseous. How to get relief?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
I have been having severe pain in my upper middle abdomen for quite some time. It comes in waves. Recently it has left me almost debilitated for over twelve hours with excruciating pain, violently vomiting (almost seems like straight stomach acid because even drinking water is painful after vommitting). The attacks are coming more frequently (at least one every couple of weeks). I have had severe diarhea for over two weeks, have very strange sounding and tasting belches (tastes like bad popcorn) and sound very XXXXXX and are very long. I am nauseated almost every night- although the extreme pain comes and goes. No medicine has brought relief. If I lay on a heating pad for my back pain and use an ice pack on my stomach I get the most relief, but it is still quite painful. Just today someone noticed the whites of my eyes have a yellowish tint. I'm tired of feeling bad. I have had an ultrasound to check for gallstones, but none were found. That was when I had only experienced this "attack" a few (2) times. Now it occurrs every couple of weeks and literally has me doubled over in bed for more than a day.
Please help.
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,
Do you have watery diarrhea/ increased frequency of using washroom/ spasmodic abdominal pain/ fever?
Do you have yellos colored discoloration of sclera & urine/ loss of apetitie/ fatigue and weakness?
Do you have acidic belching/ abdominal heviness & bloating/ excessive fltulence?
After reading your query there may be following possibilities:
1) Acute Gastroenteritis: most likely, presence of vomiting and diarrhea, abdominal pain suggest.
2) Peptic ulcer disease
3) Involvement of liver
Have you undergone ultrasound? What was the status of liver?
Have you undergone complete antibiotic course with liver function test?
You should consult with physician and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for following investigations: Complete blood count, liver function test, renal function test, endoscopy, serum amylase and lipase,serum electrolytes.
Treatment depends on the diagnosed disease.
You should take complete antibiotic course, anti-spasmodics, probiotics and medicines for relief of vomiting on written prescription.
What happens....when you do not take proper treatment for acute gastroenteritis then it my persist for days and months.
Just complete antibiotic course may cure your conditions.
Put your views also.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Having severe pain in upper abdomen. Started vomiting and diarrhoea. Feeling nauseous. How to get relief? 3 hours later
Yes to all four.

On this one I have yellowing of sclera, loss of appetite, and fatigue. However, my urine is crystal clear.

Yes. And the belches and flatulence smell similar- kind is a sulfur smell.

I did undergo an ultrasound and although they said there were no gallstones there was no mention of my liver. I will ask.

I am going to my GP today. Are there any specific questions o should ask him? I am really trying to avoid a full blown attack- if I go on the antibiotics how long until I start feeling better!

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
1) Do you have watery diarrhea/ increased frequency of using washroom/ spasmodic abdominal pain/ fever?
Yes to all four.
Adv: You should go for complete antibiotic course for rapid recovery.
2) Do you have yellos colored discoloration of sclera & urine/ loss of apetitie/ fatigue and weakness?
Adv: You should go for liver function test and ultrasound imaging for current status.
3) Do you have acidic belching/ abdominal heviness & bloating/ excessive fltulence?
Adv: You should go for endoscopy.
Although you have all mentioned symptoms but still my first diagnosis is acute gastroenteritis. In such conditions patients may have gastritis also.
You may start feeling good after 1-2 days as you are suffering fromsomany days so it may take 1-2 days otherwise in such conditions, patient start feeling better after 1-2 doses.

Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava