Having severe pain in shoulder joint. Is it spondylitis?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello Doctor Sir..
My wife gets lot of pain on the shoulder (bottom neck portion to shoulder joint is swollen, more towards bottom neck portion) when she does more work.. Not sure if this is called as spondylitis. Could you please suggest a long term solution?

Thanks very much

Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 43 minutes later
Your wife might possibly have cervical spondylitis. It can confirmed with an X-ray of the cervical vertebra. I suggest you two consult an orthopedics nearby for a detailed examination. It is a disorder in which there is abnormal wear on the cartilage and bones of the neck (cervical vertebrae).

The progress of these degenerative changes can be retarded with proper treatment and physiotherapy.

The best possible long term treatment over cervical back pain is to exercise and increase the overall strength of back and neck muscles. As the strength of back and neck increases, its helps in reduction of cervical back pain. You need to consult a Physiotherapist for this.

She can take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to reduce inflammation and pain; muscle relaxants to calm spasm after discussing with her doctor.
She also need some life style modification like-

Do not sit for prolonged period of time in stressful postures
Do use firm collars while traveling
Do not lift heavy weights on head or back.
Do turn to one side while getting up from lying down
Do the exercises prescribed regularly
Do use firm mattress, thin pillow or butterfly shaped pillow

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer if you have no further query.

Wishing her good health....