Having severe pain in neck, at the base of skull and shoulder. Easy way to get cure?

Psychiatrist
Question
I do not have the money for this, but I have been having severe neck pain around the base of my skull and when it gets to its worst point, which as of last week has been getting worse and worse and is excruciating, it starts to make my right shoulder hurt and the skin around my right shoulder blade become very sensitive to touch and have a burning sensation
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Thanks for for using health care magic for posting your query.
From the description that you have given it appears that you have a problem associated with your cervical vertebra.
There are nerve roots arising from the spaces between the vertebra. Any compression of these nerve roots, which is happening in your case, will lead to the kind of pain that you have described.
What to do?
1) Change your work posture. If you are a regular computer user or work on a desk, the posture you are using is not right. Change your desk and chair.
2) Visit a physiotherapist who would like to advice you some neck exercises which can reduce your pain.
If the symptoms still persist then you should get an MRI scan of the spine done to find the exact cause of the pain.
Meanwhile you can use some painkillers and muscle relaxants like myoril to help you reduce the symptoms.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Having severe pain in neck, at the base of skull and shoulder. Easy way to get cure? 6 days later
That's what I believed it to be when the symptoms started. I was in a automobile accident in july 2012. when I was ambulated to the emergency room, the physician did a xray on my neck and diagnosed me with " a sever case of whiplash" and sent me home without a neck brace. This problem has continued to get worse in the past eight months amd I have been seeing orthopedic doctors since and have only managed to receive a MRI of my back. The doctors refuse to do a cervical MRI. I've no idea hpw I can push the point to be able to get one. I am afraod that the problem will continue to get worse. thank you for your medical opinion

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 33 hours later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your follow-up query.
According to your symptoms you do have a cervical problem and certainly need an MRI of cervical spine.
You have focused your complains on your pain. I am sure you may be having some tingling sensations as well. Probably you need to focus on those complains as well to get the person ahead of you an idea of the discomfort and to convince the certainty of some root compression.
You need to do regular exercises as advised by your physiotherapist in order to reduce your complains.
my best wishes are with you.
Hope you get a chance to get your cervical MRI done.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.