Having severe pain in knee and strained ankle. Have gout and taking medication. Suggestions?

I have serve pain behind knee/below knee feeling heavy. stared4-6 days ago with ankle feeling strained or something now that feels alright. pain location seemed to move last night but has really strenghtend last 2-3 hours. I have gout but have taken medication and this feels in different places then if affected by gout. if I lay down pain seems to you think this should wait for doctors on Monday or should I go to hospital. while typing this and sitting down pain has decreased . i am male 47 125 kg heart is good can you please add your thoughts
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

A painful knee has lots of causes. Some of which include, Ligament strains and sprains, bursitis, tendonitis, rheumatoid arthritis, viral arthritis, meniscal tears, pseudogout, septic arthritis, osteoartrhitis etc.

Even some people with gout can present with knee pain as prepatellar bursitis. And regarding your concern whether wait for doctors on Monday or should go to hospital, I would suggest one thing. It is always better to visit soon as your pain is severe and if there is associated fever or redness or swelling of joint, then I advice to see the doctor immediately. You may need investigations like X XXXXXXX complete blood picture, urine exam for crystals, etc. Please give adequate rest to the knee.

Hope it helps!

Please let me know if you have any further queries!