Ask a Dentist   »  

Having severe pain in inner jaw. Will it be cured by its own or should I remove wisdom teeth?

Dentist, Pedodontics
I am having severe pain in my inner jaw. I hope it is because of my Wisdom teeth. Will it get cured by its own or should i get it removed?
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Amitabha Chakraborty 5 hours later
Hello. Welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query. Pain in the jaw can be caused by many reasons. Before getting the matter discussed; the diagnosis must be done properly. You didn't write any other findings so that the I can give you some idea about the diagnosis. Any way, as you said that the pain is from wisdom tooth and as you are 22 years old( normally it should erupt within 20 years age), there is very little chance that the tooth will erupt by itself. That is why in most cases the wisdom tooth is extracted. The pain in jaw can be reduced for the time being with some analgesic and sometimes with a course of simple antibiotic. The extraction could be an easier or could be a difficult surgical procedure, depending upon the position of the offending tooth.If it is not that much painful, you can send me scanned copy of an IOPA x-ray of this tooth and then I can tell you what actually should be done. Otherwise you should immediately see a local dentist and get rid of it. Thank you.