Having severe pain in chest. Lost appetite with weight with nausea. Musculoskeletal pain or something else?

I have been having severe pain for 3 months in my upper chest (between throat and breast), back, and hips. Sometimes the pain keeps me up at night. I've also had lack of appetite with the weight loss of more than ten pounds. I've been extremely dizzy and have problems with nausea and diarrhea. I've been told that it was musculoskeletal pain, but I never have gotten injured. I've heard it can be caused by natural wear and tear, but it doesn't seem to account for my nausea, lack of appetite, or weight loss. Is there another diagnosis that they are missing and/or should I ask for more tests? The pain and dizziness is interfering with my life to the point I've had to drop out of school. Can you help me?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Chronic pain at the chest, back, hip joint & weight loss for three months. There is a possibility of seronegative spondyloarthropathy.It may involve the axial joint & peripheral large joint(hip,knee).
Costosternal joint involvement may cause chest pain. Bowel involvement(pain,diarrhea) is common in this setting. Weight & appetite loss is also common. This type of inflammatory pain may aggravated during night. X-ray of the lumbosacral & sacroiliac joint will help you. But other possibility should also be considered.

To rule out other causes, it is important that you consult your GP for a detailed examination and investigations.

Hope I have been of some help to your query. Let me know if you require further assistance.