Having severe pain in ankle. X-ray showed normal. Taking medicines for pain and thyroid control. Any ideas?

There is a serious pain in left leg ankle of my mother. Its intolerable pain. I had XRay and that came out ok. One physician told me to visit oncologist since the placelets count of my mother is 0000. I just want to ask what should I do in this case. She is taking painkillers aggressively with no luck... Currently she is takin medicines for pain and thyroid control...
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 14 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query. I am happy to address your questions. For your mother will recommend you get her examined by an orthopedician who may get some investigations to come to a diagnosis. Low platelet counts (thrombocyctopenia) can be due to certain viral infections (which she has no symptoms) as well as cancers from organs which can sometimes infiltrate (invade) the bone marrow or problems with bone marrow (as it was previously) or even deficiency of vitamin B12 and folic acid can result in impaired production of platelets, it could be an associated concern. Just taking analgesics without any conclusive cause will not help as well it may cause other problems by ingesting too much of anti-inflammatory. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help. Thanks
Follow-up: Having severe pain in ankle. X-ray showed normal. Taking medicines for pain and thyroid control. Any ideas? 4 minutes later
I have visited Orthopedician and he told me this is because of increase in thyroid levels. Her current thy level is above 11. So just asking you thyroid level increase may case this much of pain..??? and her platelet count is low for four years but there was no pain till date.. Its too severe that she starts crying.. and its on the same place only.. Please advise me what to do ?? If you require some more details please let me know..
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 45 minutes later
Thanks for your kind response, yes one experiences several types of pain, including pain related to joints and pain that stems from foot muscles, all of which are affected when the thyroid isn't functioning correctly. Will recommend you to kindly get her thyroid levels normalised (through evaluation with an endocrinologist) so as to rule out the close causative factor. Please do write back in case you have follow up queries to ask. Thanks