Having severe pain from buttock to calf muscles. Suggest the treatment to ease the pain?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi - I have pain - dull ache - running down both legs from buttock to calf muscles? Left leg is slightly worse . No injury has occurred. Has happened before but ache wasnt quite this bad ? Have had the pain for about 8 hours now .What could this be and is there anything I can do to ease the pain? Many thanks
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most Possibly Neurogenic pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on the description of symtoms, I feel that the cause for pain in both of your legs is due to a compressed nerve (possibly L4 nerve) in the Lumbar spine by a protruded intervertebral disc.

An MRI scan of the Lumbosacral spine is necessary to establish the diagnosis of your condition.

The preliminary conserative management protocol is as follows -

* Avoid lifting heavy weights as it imparts more strain on your back and may worsen your pain in the legs
* Give rest to your back and avoid forward bending activities as it will worsen the disc protrusion
* Use a lumbosacral back support to augment your spinal muscles
* Intermittent pelvic traction may be helpful to cause a regression of the disc
* Physiotherapy to strengthen your back muscles. Physiotherapy has to be done only after the acute pain has subsided. Chiropractic spinal manipulative techniques may be beneficial in alleviating your pain
* Analgesics like Advil or Tylenol will lessen the pain. Neurotropic pain medications like Pregabalin / Gabapentin / Amitryptiline will help in relieving leg pain.

If your symptoms are not improving with the above measures, approach an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further.