Having severe pain and noticed white color in stool. Cause and cure?

Hi I am having lots of pains that make me run to the bathroom as I feel i need to go however then i can not go. The times i get a little out, my stools have a lot of white through them. I had a big thing of gastro two weeks ago and have had the white stools since then. What could this be? i didnt take any medication when I had gastro.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 52 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
It would be interesting to know how many times you stool everyday, whether this is your first time of having these manifestations, any history of recent travel, whether you have fever or not and whether you have noticed any traces of blood or not. Is there any notion of weight loss or excessive thirst and tiredness?
This is generally a medical condition that needs immediate and keen medical attention. It is generally caused by lack of bile which may indicate a serious underlying problem.
Bile is a digestive fluid produced by the liver and stored in the gallbladder. Stool gets its normal brownish color from bile, which is excreted from the liver into the small intestine during the digestive process. If the liver doesn't produce bile or if bile is obstructed from leaving the liver, stool will be light colored or white.
Liver diseases, such as hepatitis and cirrhosis, can cause white stool. In some cases, the problem lies not in the liver but in the tube (duct) that delivers the bile to the intestines. This tube can be squeezed shut or blocked — for example, by a tumor or a gallstone — which prevents the bile from entering the intestines. Some babies are born with constricted bile ducts. Treatment would generally depend on the cause, and shall range from medication, dietary modifications, life style changes to surgical procedures.
Meeting a gastroenterologist for a proper investigation and determination of the cause is key in managing this condition. I would suggest you get an appointment as soon as you can.
Thanks and hope this helps.
Best regards and best of health,
Luchuo, MD.