Having severe nose block. CT scan showed thickness in nasal passage. On medication. Is there cure without surgery?

I had severe nose block in the months of XXXXXXX Feb even though there were no major symptoms of cold Generally I have 2-3 cold attacks every year. I live in Bangalore..CT scan showed thickness in nasal passage on the right side .There is problem on the left too but not severe. Doctor ruled out sinus issue. Said need to go for surgery if the medicine doesn't work. After 2 rounds of antibiotics and steroid nasal drops the prob was resolved. Now with the climate change problem has reoccurred. Not visited a doc yet . Antihistamine gives temporary relief.This is the second time this year. Is there a cure without surgery
Do i need to pay to get the answer I thought this was a free service
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in,

It seems that you have chronic rhinitis. The congested nasal mucosa gives rise to blockage in the nostril. Weather changes can induce vasomotor changes that can precipitate such episodes and so are flu infections. These could be the factors triggering your every episode.

In addition, we may also have slight Deviated Nasal Septum (DNS) or sinus problems contributing. But the CT scan could have picked these up, if they were significant. You may discuss whether or not you have these associations with your ENT surgeon.

As far as a cure is concerned, I would suggest you to
- Go for nasal inhalation with warm water with Vicks or Balm or tincture benzoin.
- Nasal decongestant drops / steroid nasal sprays can be tried.
- Oral decongestant drug can be added relief.

Avoid cold exposure, allergies (if any) and fried / junk food should keep you off these symptoms. However if the symptoms are very severe and causes problems with daily activities you may consider surgery. Since the results of surgery are varied in this condition a second opinion with ENT surgeon (direct consultation) could be useful before going under the knife.

Hope, I answered your query. If you have further query or clarification, please ask.
I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health