Having severe nose bleeds. Having saliva mixed with blood after treatment. Is this normal?

I had a severe nose bleed about 1 week ago. I went to the hospital and they put a sort of balloon in my nose to make the bleed stop. 2 days later they removed the ballon and since then I dont have blood dripping but I keep having mucous, or saliva mixed with blood falling on my throat. At first the blood was quite red but now is very dark brown. Is this normal? Additionally the mucous is greenish collor......What is happening?
Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 37 minutes later

Balloon was put in the nose to compress the blood vessel which was bleeding. As it has blocked the nasal cavity also, the bleeding which might have continued started dripping back in your throat as it can not come out from nose.

Initially as the bleeding continues you had red blood, which is fresh bleeding. Now you are having dark brown, which indicates old blood.

At times due to some instrumentation in your nose and due to problem it self which has lead to bleeding there are chances of some local infection. This results in greenish color mucus.

I do not see any reason for worry.

Just take care to avoid blowing your nose forcefully, take light diet and wait for couple of days. You can apply some moisturiser from out side in your nose if you are having any sort of dryness.

You need to seek medical attention again if you have:

Nose bleeds again
Pain in throat, fever which indicates progress of infection

Other wise do not worry; you will be fine in 2-3 days.

I hope this helps and clarifies your concern.

Follow-up: Having severe nose bleeds. Having saliva mixed with blood after treatment. Is this normal? 3 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

If you have any follow up then please write again, otherwise close the discussion by accepting the answer.