Having severe nipple and breast pain. Using nipple creams. Feet, hands and nipple are cold and aching. Suggest the treatment?

Question
Hi i have an embarrassing problem ..people laugh at me ..but i have now googled it and so many women have it?
Severe nipple and breast pain in the cold weather. My nipples feel like some has them caught in a vice grip and my breasts burn with pain. I have had it for about 5 years now - every winter!
I use nipple creams, smoother them in pawpaw ointment - so they do not get so hard that they hurt, i wear so many extra layers of clothing, when I was in NYC i had to use 'heat pads' in my bras, but nothing works. The pain is so extreme that i cry most cold mornings after being in the cold. I am normally a hot bod, but i've noticed my feet, hands and nipples are so cold that they ache. As soon as i start warming up i feel better. On forums, some women have been told its Raynauds syndrome? Is there anything i can take/use?
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The pain in the breast that you have is likely to be related to post menopausal hormonal changes. If there is no palpable lump in the breasts then there is no need to worry. You can consult your gynecologist and get HRT or some natural progesterone supplements prescribed for symptomatic relief. Taking evening primrose oil also helps in reducing these symptoms.
This is not likely to be related to Raynaud's syndrome.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Having severe nipple and breast pain. Using nipple creams. Feet, hands and nipple are cold and aching. Suggest the treatment? 2 hours later
Thank you butIf they are hormonal why do they only occur in winter when i am cold? And i have been gettin getting them for a least 5 years when i still had a regular period? Others who experience the same symptoms r far younger than me.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Vascular cause such as Reynaud's improve almost instantly with warming with heat pads.

Hormone also fluctuate with changing season. Further perimenopause starts a few years before menopause. Therefore, this pain is likely to be related to hormonal causes. Based on my experience, you will find benefits with hormonal therapy.

Hope I have clarified your doubts.

Follow-up: Having severe nipple and breast pain. Using nipple creams. Feet, hands and nipple are cold and aching. Suggest the treatment? 6 hours later
Hi again

Ok i take Vagifem pessaries. What else would u suggest in terms of HRT?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 hours later
Vagifem is estradiol vaginal pessary. You need a combination of both estrogen and progesterone for relief. It is best to consult your gynecologist who will help you in choosing the best combination for you after a physical examination and necessary investigations.
Regards.