Having severe menstrual pain. Which medicine should I take for relief?

Question
hi, my name is XXXXXXX, i have a servere menstra pains and no drug seems to work on me, which drug can i take to relief me of my pains, a very good drug at that, pls help me. thanks
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 13 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Thanks for posting your query on health care magic.

May i know which drugs have you already tried so that i can suggest alternative drug.
Since how many days are you having this problem of pain?
Is your menstrual flow normal or heavy?

Waiting for the reply,
regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Having severe menstrual pain. Which medicine should I take for relief? 21 minutes later
Good morning Dr. Nilofer,

As for the drugs i can not remember all because out of the pain i take any drug that is recommended to me. I have taken the paracetamols, the brufens, sometimes in abnormal dosages, was recently taking diclofenac sodium( i need the right name, but the drug is called menspain) and was giving me some reactions, now i am taking Lofnac diclofenac sodium suppositories , when i started this particular drug, it was okey. at first, but these days when i take it, the pains and the discomfort are still there.

The pains normally comes the first and second days of my period then it stops. Sometimes, it reappears on the last day as well, other times to i unfortunately experience it the whole 3 or 4 days i have my menses.

Sometime the flow is heavy, other times it is normal, and mostly it comes for only 3 day, some few times 4 days.

The pains for these few months are just unbearable,since my first menses when i was 12 years, it has always been very painful, but for some months now, say about 4/5 months now, its just been unbearable.

Thanks for the prompt reply XXXXXXX.
I went through your history in detail.
I recommend you to take drug containing mefenamic acid as content.
Mefenamic acid is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug used to treat pain, including menstrual pain.
Many trade names are available like mefthal spas. You need to take one tablet three times daily.
Hope this helps.
regards,
Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Having severe menstrual pain. Which medicine should I take for relief? 24 minutes later
thanks Dr. once again,

the mefenamic acid drug i used to take is a mefenamic acid and dicyclomine hydrochloride tablet called menspain. Whenever i take it, it gives me some reactions like drowsiness, my heart beats very fast, it makes me feel very uncomfortable and i find it difficult to sleep, but the drowsy feeling feel so good, (i dont drink, but the feeling is like you are drunk or on some drugs), so at a point i thought i wasn't go for my system, can i continue?, please what about the Lafnac diclofenac suppositories?

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply.
These side effects are due to drug combinations. I think your body is very sensitive to analgesic. Instead of combination and high dose, i recommend you to take single drug with least possible dosage.
I suggest you to take plain mefenamic acid tablets twice daily(instead of thrice daily).
Diclofenac is not recommended for menstrual pain.
Hope this helps.
regards,
Dr Nilofer