Having severe lower back pain that extends to hips. Having nerve pain during sitting or bending. On Naprosyn and baclofen. Suggest?

I am having severe lower back pain that extends to my hips.It is different from the pain I have from the nerve pain that I usually have from previous surgery. This is worse when sitting or bending or even leaning forward.I am regularly on Naprosyn and baclofen and this isn't helping at all.
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consult your doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

If the pain is getting intense, a careful evaluation and probable more invasive treatment options might need to be employed. Since the pain changes with a change in the position of the spine, it should be of mechanical origin. It means something is compressed when the position of the body is changed. I am afraid this could be due to direct contact of bone and bone or bone and cartilage, a nerve compression or an intensification of joint inflammation.

I would suggest a careful physical exam, X rays and a spinal MRI. While waiting, other treatment options could for sure offer more help at this point. Steroids, either oral or injections could help. There are moments they could be infiltrated directly into the spine depending on the case.

In case you have put in weight lately, losing some weight could help reduce pain.

I strongly suggest you consult a neurosurgeon for a reevaluation. Its important for an exact diagnosis to be obtained for early managed and to prevent complications.

Physiotherapy and massage therapy could also be helpful.

In case you got any specific concerns, do not hesitate asking them through follow up questions. I am available and ready to offer you the needed advice. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you good health.