Having severe low back pain. Not in position to sit or stand. What to do? Suggest medication?

I'm having severe low back pain since morning. I got this pain when I have streched my body down. I'm not in a position to sit or stand. Please suggest some medicine.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is likely that one of the muscles in your back went into spasm during your stretch. This can cause severe pain that would be worse on any movement.

You need to apply a cold compress or ice therapy to the area that is hurting. This would reduce the inflammation in the area and help reduce the pain from the spasm. It should only be applied for less than 20 mins at a time, this can be done 2 to 4 times a day.
Heat therapy can be used if the pain is still present after 3 days. The heart will increase the blood supply to the area and cause the muscles to relax.

Elevate your legs to reduce the pressure on the back

A back brace may help if you use it for a short time. It should not be overused because the muscles may come to rely on it but in the short term it would help heal the muscles and provide support.

In terms of medication- ibuprofen, naproxen, aspirin, cataflam , celebrex or voltaren. These medications should be used on a full stomach.

In addition to the pain medication you may need a muscle relaxant such as sirdalud, dantrolene or baclofen.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions