Having severe itching in vulvovaginal region and big pimples. Having uterine fibroid and going into menopause phase. Advise the next step?

Mar 2013
Hi...I'm a 38 year old woman with severe itching in my vulvovaginal region and now i also get big pimples in that area. This has been there for the last 4-5 yrs. I have conducted several tests as well which have all been negative. I have a uterine fibroid, doctors have told that I could be going into a manopause phase. I'm not sure what is the next step that I should take.
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would consider infection as the first possibility.

Detailed Answer:

Severe itching and boils in the vulvovaginal region are features of infection. If I were to be your treating doctor, I would consider this as my first possibility and therefore order for pervaginal and if needed per speculum examination along with blood sugar test. Let me know if you have been through these tests.

Besides infection sometimes excessive fat deposition causes friction by rubbing of tissues against each other. If your weight is above normal recommendation, work on your weight.

If you do not have symptoms like excessive bleeding or pain, you can ignore the fibroid. Most fibroids shrink after menopause. If you can specify the size and exact location of fibroid, I can comment further.

During the transition to menopause, due to hormonal imbalance, the local tissues dry off, which again can result in infection, itching and dryness. We often tests for serum FSH and LH level tested on the 2nd day of period to confirm the possibility of transition to menopause. You can ask about the test with your gynecologist to confirm your menopause state. Estrogens containing cream can help you with dealing with such menopausal symptoms.

In brief, I see many patients with similar complaints. It can be managed and treated easily with systematic evaluation. I would like to know the test results that are done until now to help you take the right step forward

Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.