Having severe inflammatory reactions and skin issues. What treatment should be done?

Hi Dr. Prasad-i went to see an allergist since Ive been recently having severe inflammatory reactions & skin issues. I tested positive to dust mites and mold. My symptoms have been relentless -I was perscribed a dry scalp oil, topical creams and nasal spray & the symptoms subsided a bit but I've still been experiencing relentless flare ups. I got the proper bed and pillow protection covers and have been moisturizing like its a full time job. I feel like no matter what I do, most of my days are consumed by maitnence and the embarrassment of puffy acne/eczema in public. I'm desperate to know any tips or laser treatmebts that you think could be useful
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Severe eczema can impair a person's quality of life.Dust mites and mold are two of the more common factors that can aggravate the condition.
You have already change your bed and stated that you are also using pillow protection covers which is also recommended.

Other advice that is usually given to persons with a dust mite allergy include:(1)vacuum your bedroom and rest of house at least once a week
(2)remove any unnecessary upholstered furniture and replace with leather or vinyl
(3)wash bedding in extremely hot water at least once a week
(4) remove any unnecessary rugs or carpets

Frequent baths in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes are important to keep the skin moisturised. The moisturiser that you are using should be applied within 3 minutes of leaving the bath, so that alot of the water would still remain on your body.The moisturiser traps the water onto the skin and allows it to be absorbed.

Topical steroids are important in treatment, they are often prescribed to treat the flare ups but recent studies have shown the prolonged use can actually prevent the flare ups from occuring in the first place.
After your doctor gives a corticosteroid to suppress the flare up, a steriod cream such as fluticasone can be applied daily for 4 weeks to prevent future flares
After the 4 weeks, it can be applied (with the mosturiser) twice weekly in the areas normally affected for up to 4 mths.
In the medical study where this was done, patients who did this were almost 6 times less likely to have flare ups.

Laser treatment is not a recommended treatment in eczema.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions