Having severe hypochondria. Used a neti pot. Chances of getting meningitis?

I used a neti pot yesterday with Safeway's XXXXXXX ozonated natural spring water" , I also boiled the water, although i am not sure if it fully boiled. I have severe hypochondria and think i am infected with naegleria fowleri now. I tried calling safeway to find out if they also filter their water through micron filters, and use UV light. I have researched that Ozone does kill amoeba, as does temperature above 60 degree C, but I still think that i am doomed. I realize that the incidence of contracting meningitis naegleria fowleri is extremely low, but i cannot stop thinking about being infected.

Can someone give me some reassurance. Is it possible that the naegleria fowleri would be found in this product and that i am infected. I live in Canada, and the water source for this product is also in Canada ( Northern Latitude). Thanks for all the responses.
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

As you are using the water for drinking purpose Naegleria fowleri infection is very unlikely to occur. The reasons being:
1. You are boiling the water
2. The gastric juices shall not kill the flagellate form, if they are present
3. Present day micron filters and UV light are quite effective in controlling such organisms.

I could not come across documented case of Naegleria infection in Canada from drinking water.

I suggest you should relax and enjoy life.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications.

Wishing you all the best...

Follow-up: Having severe hypochondria. Used a neti pot. Chances of getting meningitis? 22 minutes later
Thank you for your response doctor.
I am using the ozonated bottled water for nasal irrigation ( with a neti along with a saline / sodium bicarbonate mixture).
I am not certain if the water was boiling long enough, as there was steam and a few bubbles, but it was not overly bubbling. I then let it cool down for a few hours.
Is this enough to be certain no Naegleria Fowerli is going to infect me?

I am a hypochondriac, and cannot stop thinking about being infected, regardless of research that shows how rare possible infection is.

Thanks for your time.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 30 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

There are two good points here:
1. You are heating the water to kill the flagellate form
2. This organism is found in tropical conditions and hardly in cooler climates like northern parts of Canada where you stay

I suggest that one should look at the good things that you are doing to control infection rather than thinking of the worst that can happen.

I hope I have allayed your doubts.

Cheer up and wishing you all the best....