Having severe heartburn, fluttering muscle spasm, feeling tired. Thoughts?

General Surgeon
Last night I had terrible heartburn and a fluttering muscle spasm on my left side that felt like it was near my left ribcage. Today I'm extremely tired. Thoughts?
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Heartburn and fluttering muscle spasm on the left side of chest should be always checked with heart condition as such symptoms sound like heart ischemia or even heart attack. Tiredness is also quite characteristic for this condition. You may also feel shortness of breath, pain radiating to the left arm or jaw, dizziness, nausea.

Other possible reason of such symptoms is muscle spasm or rib nerves compression, however no heartburn should be present with it. Stomach acid reflux disease should be also considered, but after ruling out heart disease.

I suggest you to visit your doctor as soon as possible and have heart ECG, blood work and heart enzymes (Troponine, CK-MB) checked. Heart ultrasound and stress test should be also considered.
If no heart problems will be found, abdominal ultrasound and upper GI endoscopy seems also advisable.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.