Having severe headaches lasting few days. Diagnosed with viral meningitis. Having high temperature. Suggest the treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012

Question
Hi I was admitted to hospital after several doc visits for severe headaches of 6weeks constant, on this day I was bien sick high temp sweating etc..at hospital they diagnosed me Viral meningitis , so I was in for 7days on antibiotic drip,since bieng home 2weeks now,I'm layed in bed with a bad headache again and rising temp.i feel awful,this may be also the fact I have woke up this morning with tonsilitus,but the headache n temp are back,would u agree viral meningitis ? Or maybe something else? I ask since coming home am losing allot of discharge and spotting??never had this...
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Well just headache without signs of meningeal irritation will hardly defined as meningitis but you might be suffering from viral encephalitis (which could cause persistent headache). Now, the cause of your infectious syndrome (fever, headache etc) will depend on which part of the world you maybe located at. From your description, it is obvious that you maybe suffering from some sort of an infection but a septicemia or blood infection can also cause you headache and fever. Bacteria, virus, parasite (plasmodium), amoeba could either be responsible for your symptom. Given that you are located probably in the United Kingdom (if I am not mistaken), then certain tropical microbes could easily be ruled out simple by deduction, then specific laboratory tests should be done in order to determine the specific germ. Bacteria and virus are the most likely culprits.
Also, brain masses such as abscess, tumors, toxoplasmosis will need to be rule out through a brain CT scan.
Apparently, the initial course of antibiotics was not effective and this means that you will need to get back to the hospital for proper treatment.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Having severe headaches lasting few days. Diagnosed with viral meningitis. Having high temperature. Suggest the treatment? 8 minutes later
I am in the uk yes and i have ct scan and mri in hospital they ruled that out. I jus feel v.unwell too also about the spotting and continous discharge,is this infection??or medication maybe??
How about a new blood tests??will this help??x

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 8 minutes later

Can you please precise the characteristics of the discharge? color, volume, frequency, smell? From there, I might be able to tell if infection or not. Yes, medications can alter menstrual blood flow but it will be wise at your age to rule out pregnancy if you are sexually active (without protection). Pelvic diseases can cause fever and headache too.
Blood work such as blood culture, complete blood count, urine analysis, CRP, ESR etc can be done. Through this a specific cause might be determined. Blood culture and antibiotics sensitivity will be the gold standard for blood infection.

Hope this helps further and please feel free to write back.

Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Having severe headaches lasting few days. Diagnosed with viral meningitis. Having high temperature. Suggest the treatment? 5 minutes later
Well all day i wear a small pad or its like iv wet myself yellowy green very thick like thlem.
Spottin is very occasional for mayb 5mins then nufin for days only slight.
Ok i will request bloods tommora.
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 15 minutes later
Then there is possibility of a vaginal infection or pelvic diseases. Antibiotics such as ampicillin can also cause vaginal discharges (as side effect). I suggest you see a doctor tomorrow.

Best regards
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Having severe headaches lasting few days. Diagnosed with viral meningitis. Having high temperature. Suggest the treatment? 35 hours later
I went to the doctors like u said but she wasnt very complient she has put me on 8 antibiotics a day (penicillin), said she thinks its jus because i have servere tonsilitus.
Since this i have been passin out and got a bad pain under my breasts in the middle of my ribs??
I never usually get ill...will these antibiotics work u think??..

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 52 minutes later
Thanks for updating,

Well antibiotics working depends on the type of infection and penicillin is mostly effective with strep and staph (but there could be resistance) of throat but for your pelvic infection you might require another course of antibiotics such as metronidazole. Penicillin side effects can result to vaginal discharges (so it should be discontinued in case you already have the discharges).
I think you should trust your doctor's opinion as she is better placed to give you appropriate treatment as she is able to actually evaluate you.

Hope this helps further and let me know if you got any more questions.
Dr. Nsah