Having severe headache. X-ray showed compressed disc in neck. What can this be?

Nov 2013

I have had this severe headache for the past 42 days with no relief in sight. I have been given several different pain killer medications with no effect. I have been to a neuroligist with no results. There has been no lab work done. The MRI was negetive, CT scan negetive and the only thing that showed on the X-Ray was a slightly compressed disc in my neck. I have a metal plate in my neck. The headaches started about three day after returning from my vacation. Came on slow, but intensified over the course of three days. It's been 42 days now without relief. The neuroligist now does not think that it is a migraine. Aspiren does not work either.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for posting your query.

It is unfortunate that the cause of your headache has not been found out even after six weeks, and your headaches are still persisting.

Further investigations may help in your case.

MR venogram may help in excluding cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, where there is clotting of blood in brain veins.
Fundus examination (by an eye specialist) may be done to look for papilledema. Presence of papilledema may suggest a diagnosis of benign intracranial hypertension (BIH), where the pressure in the brain water (CSF) is elevated and MRI is normal.
The last test would be to do a lumbar puncture to exclude a chronic meningitis (an infection of brain coverings).

Please discuss about these with your neurologist.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist