Having severe eye problem. Not able to concentrate. Is there any permanent solution to these dry eyes?

I have a severe problem in my eyes.
i can't concentrate on any illuminated object like tv or computer.
My eyes become dry immediatly.
I think my eyes are not producing enough tears.
I also see black dots in my sight.
My eyes became weak and started showing dryness when once i used CRT computer for long period of time with out break. that day i felt intense pain in my eyes.
Is there any permanent solution to these dry eyes. like surgery etc.
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 12 hours later
Dear guest,

You have a common condition called computer vision syndrome.

It is important to know that computer monitors do not emit any harmful rays or radiations (monochrome or colour).The causes of the trouble are:

1) Constantly gazing at a near distance (at the monitor)

2) Decreased rate of blinking

Convergence Fatigue
When we look at a near object both our eyes move towards each other (converge) to fixate at the target. Prolonged viewing of the monitor at close distance leads to fatigue of convergence and its weakness / insufficiency. This consequently leads to eye strain, pain and headache.

Infrequent Blinking
Decreased rate of blinking while working on computers leads to instability of the tear film of the eyes. This leads to feeling of dryness, irritation, redness and a reflex watering from the eyes.

Following set of measures can be undertaken together to get relief:

Monitor should be placed about 2-3 feet from the eyes (or at the farthest comfortable distance).
Do not gaze constantly at the monitor for long duration. Take your eyes off the screen every 5-10 minutes.
Every half an hour or so close your eyes for 1-2 minutes to give them rest.
Every hour or so take a 5 minutes break (go for a stroll or run some errand).
Make a conscious effort to blink more frequently. Avoid sitting in front of an air conditioner facing its air draft while working on computer.

Continue using Refresh liquigel eye drops three to four times a day. If the problem is very severe, your doctor might suggest a minor procedure called punctal occlusion. In this, the puncta (tear ducts which drain tears out of your eye) are intentionally blocked so that tears stay inside your eye for a longer time.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for any further queries, if you have any.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah