Having severe diarrhea. No infection. Stool test showed puss Cell-4-5/HPF. What to do? Suggest medications?

1.     My grand daughter 2 yrs of age having severe lose motion or diarrhea for the last 4 days and passing watery yellowish stool every 5 to 10 minutes. Had slight temperature XXXXXXX 101.5 Deg F, for the first two days. Now there is no temperature.
2.     She is being hydrated and has been passing urine occasionally. She is 11kg by weight.
3.     Urine and stool tests have been carried out. There is no infection.
4.     Urine : Albumin- Trace, Ketone Bodies-Present +, Red Bllod Cells-Absent, Puss Cell-4-5/HPF, Epithelial Cells-2-3/HPF
5.     Stool: reducing substances- Present +, Puss cells – 2-3/HPF, Epithelial cells-Occasional. (Oval Cysts not seen)
6.     Local doctor says she will be all right but her watery stool continues unabated and we are extremely worried. She is losing her body weight and becoming cranky. Her skin around anus has become swollen & reddish.
7.     She has been put on liquid O2 Suspension from today (Ofloxacin and Orindazole)
8.     Please let us know:
a.     How can we stop the lose motion of such high frequency.
b.     Is O2 has some side effect? Do you suggest any other medicine
c.     Is it normal that such watery stool can continue for such log time?
d.     Please advice what should be done now.
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 33 minutes later

Thanks for your query .

I can understand your concerns.

Stool frequency is decreased by giving yogurt rice and banana no medication for this purpose .However giving her potassium chloride in oral form will help.
Suddenly stopping loose motion will result in abdominal distention.

Generally antibiotics are not recommended for loose motions.

If she is lethargic, not at all drinking any thing and passing loose stool, then I would recommend that he should be given fluids intravenously.

However if he is tolerating fluids then you should give him extra fluid and ORS.

Monitor his hydration status, if there is any blood or child starts vomiting every thing then immediately visit you doctor.

Change her diaper after every loose stool, note that how much urine she is passing.

Apply zinc oxide ointment and hydrozole cream over nappy area.

Give him zinc supplementation, banana and rice water.

Stools will last for 5 days approximately.

Hope I have answered ,if you have any other query , I would be honored to reply.

Wishing sweet child a speedy recovery.