Having severe cramps and early periods. Having metal test in mouth. Could I be pregnant or experiencing a miscarriage?

Could I be pregnant or experiencing a miscarriage?
I am having severe cramps and my period is one week early, it does not look like or feel like my normal cycle? The colour is brownish and a light red but only a small flow.
I have a metal taste in my mouth and I love my coffee but the smell and taste now makes me sick.
I am worried because I have never had cramps this bad before.
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Any time a young reproductive age woman experiences cycle irregularity or unusual bleeding, pregnancy has to be considered a possibility. I am assuming that you have taken a pregnancy test?

The earliest that a test would potentially turn positive would be about 2 weeks after conception. So along these lines, the latest that it SHOULD be positive would be about 2-3 weeks AFTER the LAST time that you had unprotected intercourse.

Assuming that you are pregnant, then certainly your symptoms might be related to the pregnancy. Assuming you are not pregnant, then the symptoms might be related to your cycle or something completely different - even a cold or congestion can seriously alter your sense of tast and smell.

I hope this helps. Let me know and good luck!!