Having severe cold and nose block. While blowing to clear nose noticed blood. Suggest?

I seem to be having severe cold and nose block. Whilst trying to clear my nose by blowing I saw that phlegm had fresh stain of blood... This is while clearing the nose and spitting via my mouth. Could you please let me know why I had small stains of blood ? I do not have any cough
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allergic reaction or infection; blood can be seen

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

I understand your concern and am here to help clear your doubt. When an individual suffers from an allergy or an infection of the respiratory tract, the inner mucosal membrane of the respiratory tract gets irritated and inflamed. This irritation can at times result in a small amount of blood passing through the blood vessels into the respiratory tract.

This blood is then seen in the phlegm (discharge) which is expectorated out. I would advice you to visit your doctor to get examined, diagnosed and treated accordingly sir.

I hope this information helps you. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

God bless.
Follow-up: Having severe cold and nose block. While blowing to clear nose noticed blood. Suggest? 11 minutes later
I blew my nose again and did not see any blood after i wait for some more days to see if it is recurring?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, please wait longer

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again.

Yes sir, you can wait for a while longer and see if itrecurs. If it does not, then you need not worry. Keep away from dust and/or any other allergens that can cause an allergic reaction, keep warm and stay hydrated.

But if you develop a temperature, it would be best to visit a doctor for further management.

I hope this information helps you.