Having severe cold. Suggest medications to feel better during long flight?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
First time flying and have a terrible head cold and will be flying to Calgary this week. any suggestions to help me feel better during the long flight.
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I have a few suggestions.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
I have a number of suggestions to help you enjoy your flight.
- get plenty of sleep the night before your flight.
- make sure you know the hand luggage regulations so you don't get any nasty surprises at check-in.
- arrive at the airport in plenty of time to avoid the last minute rush.
- good preparation by having reading or music to occupy your waking time. Make sure your gadgets are all charged. A neck pillow for sleeping. Have Paracetamol available for headaches. Remember to take any regular medications you are on. Decongestants may help your cold symptoms.
- wear loose, comfortable clothing.
- change your watch to the time zone of your destination when you board.
- avoid alcohol.
- drink plenty of soft drinks to keep well hydrated.
- drink caffeine only in moderation.
- support stockings are recommended to reduce the risk of DVTs.
- move around the cabin regularly to improve circulation.
- regular calf exercises to promote circulation in the legs. Rotate your feet in circles every couple of hours.
- do not take sleeping pills as these may put you into a deep sleep that will disrupt your sleep patterns after your trip.
- suck on a boiled sweet during descent to avoid painful pressure building up in your sinuses and ears.
I hope these suggestions help you enjoy your trip.
Dr K A Pottinger,