Having severe chest pain radiating around ribs. Done with ECG and taking ibufrofen and panadeine. No relief. Suggest the cure?

Jun 2015

I have been getting severe chest pain radiating around my ribs and up under my shoulder blade for 2 weeks. Went to er 3 days ago and they did a ecg which was fine and sent me home with ibufrofen and panadeine. I have had no relief whatsoever. I also suffer gets and anxiety. I have not had an exact diagnosis apart from it sounds like muscular or inflammation. I am crying in pain and would just like some relief.
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly view the details

Detailed Answer:

Chest pain can be caused by various reasons, including minor problem such as indigestion or stress, to serious medical emergencies such as a heart attack.

Presence of a normal ECG rules out the possibility of a Cardiac involvement.
Under such circumstances, the pain can be attributed to:

1. Chest muscle injury/ strain- can be managed by intake of anti spasmodics like Dicyclomine preparation (to be taken after food) and application of analgesic & muscle relaxant gel.

2. Short-term, sudden anxiety with rapid breathing.

3. GERD)- Kindly continue Nexium as advised by your physician. It prevents acid formation in stomach and provides relief.
Antacid preparations like Digene gel can be added after every meal.

4. Analgesics like Paracetamol & Ibuprofen are known to cause damage to gastric mucosa, leading to aggravation of symptoms.
So, it is advisable to take any one medication instead of using both.
Kindly discuss with your treating physician regarding this.

And it is needed that you take certain precautions regarding your diet & lifestyle:
1. Take soft, plain, non-spicy foods
2. Drink lots of water to maintain adequate hydration
3. Avoid fast foods & gas producing food products like cabbage, etc.
4. Avoid smoking & alcohol
5. Keep away stress..think positive.
6. Exercise regularly & practice meditation.

If symptoms still persist, kindly consult a Gastroenterologist for a proper clinical examination.
Investigations like X XXXXXXX of chest, upper GI endoscopy & Ultrasound scan of abdomen will be helpful to rule out any pathological cause for your symptoms.

Wishing you a good health.
Thanks & take care.