Having severe bone pain. Diagnosed with rocky mountain spotted fever. Required treatment?

For the past few months have been having horrible bone pain. It mainally is in my right hip and spreads all over my body at times. All bones hurt at sometime or another and sometimes so bad that it hurts to be touched. My joints feel like someone is forced railroad ties into them and my bones feel like someone is breaking them apart. I have never experieced so much pain in my life and I have a chronic back condition and that is nothing compared to this. I was diganosised twice with rocky mountain spotted fever(even without the rash or seeing the tick or bump) within the past two years. Which I am not convinced that was the cause of all this or even that I had it twice. I am starting to get scared because I do not have health insurance and noone seems to want to help with pain control much less run test to see what is going on, but honestly I am scared that something has been missed and now I have bone cancer.
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the questions,
Chronic bone pain is deserves a keen clinical evaluation. Would be interesting to know whether there are other associated symptoms like joint swelling in other bones, night sweats, fevers and any notion of weight loss. Any notions of body fatigue could also be very important.
In your case, the cause could be infectious, inflammatory or an autoimmune disease. It shall also b worth knowing if there is any notion of trauma. I would suggest you do an X XXXXXXX of the pelvis to ascertain the integrity of the hip bone. Measuring markers of inflammation (ESR and CrP), Rhumatoid factor, HLA27 and serologic tests for mountain fever could be of interest in taking a decision with respect to the origin of your symptoms. A complete blood count, to give the level of hemoglobin and other blood parameters could be important in suggesting any possible blood or cancerous cause of these pain. Its , I am afraid, too early to start thinking of a possible blood cancer. However, blood tests like serum Alkaline phosphatase levels and electrolytes could be helpful.
Consulting a Rhumatologist for a concise physical examination, clinical history and these exams or others could be key aspects of clearing any doubts and drawing up a precise and specific treatment plan.
Thanks and hope this helps. Would be honored answering further questions if need be.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Having severe bone pain. Diagnosed with rocky mountain spotted fever. Required treatment? 5 hours later
I have lost a lot of weight over the past year. Last year this time I weighed 230 and I now way 172 without trying to lose the weight. I do have night sweats which I have never had before and started with all this. Both joints and bones seem to be affected, fatigue, lost of headaches(strange ones), dizziness, and some loss of balance from time to time. The bone and joint pain seems to be a little worse each day and effecting more parts of my body. I live with chronic back pain, but this joint and bone pain outweighs that pain by a ton. I do not know what to do and the doctor I have talked too doesn't seem to think its a big deal. Feeling this miserable and being in extreme pain like this is a very big deal.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 7 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the follow up question,
I humbly feel meeting a Rhumatologist is of utmost importance and I am afraid an urgent need. The blood tests I cited earlier shall be of great help in making a clear cut diagnosis and management. It shall be a good idea if you arrange an urgent consultation with an internist/rhumatologist. An early consultation could be helpful for him to prescribe appropriate pain killers that could relieve you faster as the cause of your symptoms is being sought. Stay calm and positive,
Thanks and best regards.
Luchuo, MD.